Moral Outrage
Whew! God help us!

All it takes to be targeted for a US drone strike

New information on the Central Intelligence Agency’s campaign of drone strikes in northwest Pakistan — a country the US is not officially at war with — directly contradicts the image that the Obama administration and the CIA have sought to establish in the news media of a program based on highly accurate targeting that is effective in disrupting al Qaeda’s terrorist plots against the United States.

A new report on civilian casualties in the war in Pakistan has revealed direct evidence that a house was targeted for a drone attack merely because it had been visited by a group of Taliban soldiers. The report came shortly after publication of the results of a survey of opinion showing overwhelming popular opposition to the drone strikes, and majority support for suicide attacks on U.S. forces under some circumstances.

Meanwhile, data on targeting of the drone strikes in Pakistan indicate that they have now become primarily an adjunct of the U.S. war in Afghanistan, targeting almost entirely militant groups involved in the Afghan insurgency rather than al Qaeda officials involved in plotting global terrorism.

The new report published by the Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict (CIVIC) last week offers the first glimpse of the drone strikes based on actual interviews with civilian victims of the strikes.

In an interview with a researcher for CIVIC, a civilian victim of a drone strike recounted how his home had been visited by Taliban troops asking for lunch. He said he had agreed out of fear of refusing them. The very next day, the house was destroyed by a missile from a drone, killing his only son.

IPS

Advertisements

3 Responses to “All it takes to be targeted for a US drone strike”

  1. […] Obama’s CIA, with the support of other Western governments, and they killed more than 700 civilians in 2009 […]

  2. It is better to die for than it is for evil. Let the Taliban pay for the evil. For they are the evil. The innocent Victims are just the True Cost of Freedom. If You let evil into your House God will destroy your House for it has been defiled with the presense of Satan. God will give you another Son and a New HOUSE BUT EVIL WILL BE NO MORE.

    • Wow, you have one extraordinary outlook on life!! —So if I understand what you are saying, you feel it’s moral for innocent victims, in a country that the US is not even officially at war with, to be killed in the name of Freedom??!!

      I would imagine that some other ultraconservative “Christians” and “believing” Israelis might also attempt bring God into the picture and use this same rationale that you do: “You let evil into your House God will destroy your House for it has been defiled with the presense of Satan”.

      BTW, drone technology was developed by the Israelis, who routinely use it to bomb the Gaza Strip. The people there were subsequently terrified – and radicalized. I expect the same thing is happening in Pakistan.

      As for the effect of the US swooping in their drones of death, David Kilcullen is a counter-insurgency expert who worked for General Petraeus in Iraq and now advises the State Department. He has shown that only 2 per cent of the people killed by the robot-planes in Pakistan are jihadis. The remaining 98 per cent are as innocent as the victims of 9/11.

      Kilcullen’s opinion: “It’s not moral.” and “Every one of these dead non-combatants represents an alienated family, and more recruits for a militant movement that has grown exponentially as drone strikes have increased.”

      I fear that this US drone warfare is going to come back on the US.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: